APPOVTALK#1 - Experimental DepthMap Use in Quake III Arena

At the beginning of the year I started producing APPOVTALK video's. APPOVTALK is a format that highlights/discusses various aspects of machinima making in general, videogames related to machinima or specific aspects that are related to or found in my work. The first episode was released last february and explores in depth (haha. get it? DEPTH...) what role depth of field maps played in three recent Quake III Machinima's: DEPTHMAP, DEPTHMAP NEXT and IGNIIITION.

The video is nine minutes long and highlights three different examples. The first example showcases using a depthmap as primary footage. The second example showcases the combination or depthmap and original footage, and the last example explores secondary roles for depth of field maps, such as for color grading or visual effects. The tone of voice is a bit too formal for my liking in this episode, but truth is that I originally recorded this for research on the PRESS START project in the UK. Any new APPOVTALK episodes will be more informal and less edited. They'll be in a more loosely edited fashion with longer runtimes. I'll be also able to go more in depth about certain matters that I would like to extensively discuss that way. And yes, more 'uhmms' and 'aahhs' in between. We all love those. I know I do.

I won't go too much into detail about the contents of upcoming episodes. They'll come as they please and I see it more as a small side-project and an extension of my work in the field of machinima. Take a look at the first episode down below and let me know what you think! See you during the next one!




Comments